Mandarin News Program
This Spring, in partnership with Mrs. Plumberg’s Newsroom, Hanwen School is presenting a new model of Chinese language program that goes above and beyond textbook teaching, drills and memorization.
Our Mandarin News Program adapts the latest technology to enable student-driven content selection, results-focused daily studying, Mandarin conversation and presentation practices, peer support and feedback, as well as learning in China’s cultural context, all jam-packed in one affordable price.
We offer three terms with parallel structure that gradually increases in length and knowledge intensity. These are stand-alone terms, but we highly recommend you sign up for all three to get the most out of it and receive a 10% discount.
- One week prior to each term starts: Students/ parents will receive instructions to self-evaluate and report Chinese language proficiency level to instructor. You’ll also receive log-in detail to a proprietary news database, and detail of an English book written by a journalist or a China expert about contemporary China that will be read and discussed during the term. Books will be suitable for students’ comprehensive level and areas of interest.
- Orientation (2 hours at Hanwen School): program overview, digital database (web/iOS/Android) tutorial, phone conversation time slot sign-up, weekly China news briefing, and guidance on book discussion.
- Week-long Guided Study: for 30–45 minutes a day, students study Chinese news article(s) (minimum one piece per week) chosen by themselves based on their proficiency level and interest. When ready, they will complete vocabulary and comprehension tests online, which is to be reviewed by instructor digitally upon completion. Instructor may assign additional article(s) for advanced students during the week, depending on student’s progress, or provide immediate support if students encounter difficulties. Instructor provides ongoing monitoring remotely. Students are also required to read assigned chapters of the book during the week (it will always be a fun read!).
- Mandarin Conversations (via phone): students can select up to two 30-minute timeslots to practice Mandarin and ask questions with instructor on the phone during the week.
- Sunday Workshops (2 hours at Hanwen School): instructor to give a weekly China news briefing, followed by student presentations of news articles and peers Q&A; followed by book discussions facilitated by instructor. Chinese beginners who really struggle to carry out conversations in Mandarin will be allowed to use English when necessary.
- Individual Learning Report: Instructor to email individual learning evaluation to students/parents with quantitative results and qualitative feedback.
- This program is developed for Mandarin learners aged 10–18 with basic Mandarin proficiency (minimum HSK 1+)
- Students can chose to study news in traditional or simplified scripts
- Each term is limited to eight seats only
Our schedule takes into consideration school calendars in Albany and Berkeley. We remain flexible if the majority of the students prefer alternative workshop timing on Sunday. Currently, all orientations and workshops will be held at Hanwen School on Sunday from 2pm to 4pm.
(2–4pm at Hanwen)
|Week-long guided study &
|Individual Learning Reports|
|#1||4 weeks||Sunday, January 21
Sunday, January 28
Sunday, February 4
Sunday, February 11
|January 22-January 27
January 29-February 3
February 5-Febraury 10
February 12-February 17
|Submitted to family by March 3|
|#2||5 weeks||Sunday, March 4
Sunday, March 11
Sunday, March 18
Sunday, March 25
Sunday, April 1
|Submitted to family by April 21|
|#3||6 weeks||Sunday, April 22
Sunday, April 29
Sunday, May 6
Sunday, May 13
Sunday, May 20
Sunday, May 27
April 30-May 5
May 28-June 2
|Submitted to family by June 15|
|Term||Duration||Term Fee||Discounted rate for signing up all three terms before Jan 21||Discounted rates for returning students|
|#1||4 weeks||USD 380||10%/ USD 1,269||N.A.|
|#2||5 weeks||USD 470||5%/ USD 447|
|#3||6 weeks||USD 560||5%/ USD 532|
Note: All fees include one premium account subscription of a proprietary education database during the term periods, but exclude book purchase. We wanted to allow families to purchase books in their chosen forms: e-book, audio book, hard copy, library loan, second-hand, etc.
To ensure the quality of the program, we are committed to small groups and invested in digital learning platform. Therefore, we have to maintain a strict refund policy to avoid significant financial loss. Thank you for your understanding.
- 100% refund will be given, minus a 3% transaction fee (when pay by credit card or Paypal), if cancelled seven days prior to each term start date. Family who pay by check can avoid the 3% fees. For those who take up 10% discount for signing up all three classes, the final date for a 100% refund minus 3% transaction fee is January 14, 2018
- 75% refund will be given, minus a 3% transaction fee fee (when pay by credit card or Paypal), if cancelled three days prior to the term start date
- 50% refund will be given, minus a 3% transaction fee (when pay by credit card or Paypal), if cancelled within 72 hours prior to the term start date. Family who pay by check can avoid the 3% fees.
- No refund will be given on or after the term starts. However, the departing student can bring in a replacement student to complete the rest of the term. A brief orientation will be given to the new student and evaluation reports will be developed for both students.
Questions or comments? Email firstname.lastname@example.org